Buying a Business in the United States: The E-2 Visa

By Michael Monnot –


If you are living abroad and are looking for a way to come to the United States, then perhaps the E-2 Visa is for you.


Passport and US Visa


What is an E-2 Visa?

This is a nonimmigrant investment Visa that allows a business buyer (and their spouse and children) to come to live and work in the U.S. so long as they invest in a business that has been approved as qualified for an E-2 Visa.

You can find out more about this type of Visa from the Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services website here:

and read more about the specific requirements here:


How much will I need to purchase an E-2 qualified business?

The answer is, it depends. In most cases you will need somewhere around $80,000 to $120,000 to invest in a business to qualify for the Visa, but there are exceptions to this guideline.


How do I find a business that will help me qualify for the E-2 Visa?

Talk to a business broker who has experience with the immigration process and they should be able to answer any questions you have and help you to find a business that will qualify for the E-2 Visa. We have affiliations with local immigration attorneys and have helped many foreign nationals with the purchase of a business in the United States.


Is the E-2 Visa permanent?

No, but as long as you are meeting the requirements for the Visa you can be granted unlimited five year or two year extensions. An example of a situation where you would no longer be meeting those requirements would be if you sold the business you used to obtain your E-2 Visa without previously purchasing another business that would also qualify.


What if I am looking for permanent immigration status?

Those looking for permanent status would need to qualify for a different kind of investor Visa, the EB-5 Investor Green Card. You can read more about this type of Visa here:


What if I have more questions?

Ask us! Please feel free to leave us a comment or question below, or you can read more about using a business investment to come to the United State on our website here:




profile_mmNEW IBB (JPG)




Michael Monnot

12995 South Cleveland Avenue, Suite 249
Fort Myers, FL 33907

Leave a Reply

Copyright © 2022 E2Visa.Com. All Rights Reserved.

Designed By

Visit Us
Follow Me